The National Press Club of Malaysia or NPC, as it is fondly known by the media fraternity, is one of the oldest clubs in the country. The club was founded on June 6, 1948, when a group of journalists came together at an inaugural meeting at the old Majestic Hotel. The club was then called the Press Club of Malaya and its first president was Mr A.S. Rajah of the then Malaya Tribune. The club now has more than 500 active members. Membership of the club, is open to journalists and individuals and corporate bodies associated with the media.
A non-profit organisation, the NPC regularly organises social events for journalists and other media practitioners. The club also organises talks and workshops on media practices and current events affecting the profession. Besides journalists and other media practitioners, speakers include international figures, diplomats, innovators and, of course, Malaysian political leaders including cabinet ministers, academic and other renowned speakers.
The clubhouse is located at 84, Jalan Tangsi, Kuala Lumpur. It is a small colonial-style building by the government in 1986 following an appeal to the then Prime Minister Datuk Seri (now Tun) Dr Mahathir Mohamad. The NPC depends on sponsors and corporate donations for its upkeep.